StarTimes recommits to Nairobi HQ for Africa
May 22, 2019
By Chris Forrester
Back in July 2014 China’s StarTimes Group carried out a ground-breaking ceremony in the Nairobi suburb of Karen. Since then progress has been painfully slow.
However, at an event in Beijing on May 17th the company’s Group VP, Guo Ziqi said plans to construct the Ksh6.9 billion ($68.2 million) African hub were still on course.
The recommitment comes after local reports emerged that Kenya might lose the multi-billion project to either Tanzania or Nigeria due to delayed approval.
“Our plans to build the Africa headquarter in Nairobi as announced by our group’s President Pang Xinxing in 2014 is still on course. We are still in talks with the Kenyan government on how it should be implemented. We are currently communicating with President Uhuru Kenyatta’s administration to see how the project can be upgraded. The plan is not aborted,” said Guo.
Upon completion, the new hub will be co-ordinating operations in 14 other African markets currently reporting directly to Beijing. The facility will also serve as a digital TV research and development centre for film and broadcast television as well as a training facility.
Other posts by :
- IRIS2 free for government usage?
- Bank: AST SpaceMobile will orbit 356 satellites by 2030
- SpaceX launches 600th rocket
- Starlink: 10m customers and counting
- SES predicts end of ‘big’ Geo satellites
- Amazon Leo gets approval for 4,504 extra satellites
- SpaceX gets a portion of India
- TerreStar wants to build LEO network
- Musk: “No Starlink phone”
