Sony quadruples loss forecast
September 17, 2014
Sony has unexpectedly said its annual loss may be more than four times bigger than initially forecast. It now expects a full-year loss of 230bn yen ($2.15bn) compared with a previous estimate of 50bn yen.
The loss is mainly attributed to its struggling mobile business, which has been losing money due to competition from global rivals such as Apple and Samsung. Sony said it would not pay a year-end dividend for the first time.
Sony said its latest plan had been “modified to address the significant change in the market and competitive environment of the mobile business.” This is the sixth profit warning from the company, which made the announcement after Japanese stock markets had closed.
Other posts by :
- IRIS2 free for government usage?
- Bank: AST SpaceMobile will orbit 356 satellites by 2030
- SpaceX launches 600th rocket
- Starlink: 10m customers and counting
- SES predicts end of ‘big’ Geo satellites
- Amazon Leo gets approval for 4,504 extra satellites
- SpaceX gets a portion of India
- TerreStar wants to build LEO network
- Musk: “No Starlink phone”
