PM defends BSkyB bid handling
May 25, 2012
David Cameron has defended Jeremy Hunt’s handling of Rupert Murdoch’s bid for BSkyB in the light of new evidence showing that Hunt was privately pushing for the takeover to be allowed before he was appointed to oversee the process.
In an interview on ITV Cameron said Hunt had acted “impartially” from the moment he took charge of handling the decision in December 2010 and that what he had said about it previously was not relevant. Cameron said he had no regrets about giving the task to Hunt, who is fighting to hang on as culture secretary following the revelation that he told Cameron in a memo in November 2010 that it would be “totally wrong” to cave in to those opposing the bid.
Hunt will explain his side of the story when he gives evidence next Thursday. Other witnesses next week include the former prime minster Tony Blair.
Other posts by :
- Starlink: 10m customers and counting
- SES predicts end of ‘big’ Geo satellites
- Amazon Leo gets approval for 4,504 extra satellites
- SpaceX gets a portion of India
- TerreStar wants to build LEO network
- Musk: “No Starlink phone”
- Russia accused of eavesdropping on satellites
- FCC welcomes Musk’s 1m satellite plan
- Telesat has problems with an LEO
