Japan to delay analogue switch-off
April 20, 2011
By Chris Forrester
Japan’s communications ministry has said it will delay a complete shift to digital terrestrial television broadcasts in the three prefectures most severely stricken by the March 11 quake and ensuing tsunami by up to one year from the initially planned July 24. The tsunami swept away numerous facilities for receiving such broadcasts in Iwate, Miyagi and Fukushima prefectures and the government-led campaign for the shift has halted, said Hideo Hiraoka, senior vice minister for internal affairs and communications.
Concern has been growing in the quake-hit areas that a complete shift from analogue broadcasting would strip evacuees and others of a major means to receive vital information related to the disaster such as aftershocks. The decision is a major change for the ministry, which had been seeking to complete the shift to digital TV on July 24, and had planned for up to 200,000 volunteers to encourage people without terrestrial digital receivers and other relevant equipment to introduce them in their homes.
Other posts by :
- Bank: AST SpaceMobile will orbit 356 satellites by 2030
- SpaceX launches 600th rocket
- Starlink: 10m customers and counting
- SES predicts end of ‘big’ Geo satellites
- Amazon Leo gets approval for 4,504 extra satellites
- SpaceX gets a portion of India
- TerreStar wants to build LEO network
- Musk: “No Starlink phone”
- Russia accused of eavesdropping on satellites
