‘Back to drawing board for global iPlayer’
October 6, 2015
Nick Snow @ MIPCOM
BBC Worldwide is going ‘back to the drawing board’ for plans for a new international OTT service, Nick North, BBC director of audiences has told MIPCOM.
After shutting down the Global iPlayer earlier this year the corporation was considering a relaunch with registration/sign-in functionality similar to the myBBC version in the UK.
“We’re looking to add value to our licence fee… perhaps through the process of registration, they will be able to gain access to BBC content on their mobile devices and other devices whilst abroad through the authentication process.” said North.
He revealed: “We have a new service planned, an OTT service that will allow people access to more British talent, more British creativity.”
Director General Tony Hall told the Royal Television Society last month that a BBC OTT service is in the works for the US market.
Other posts by :
- Bank: AST SpaceMobile will orbit 356 satellites by 2030
- SpaceX launches 600th rocket
- Starlink: 10m customers and counting
- SES predicts end of ‘big’ Geo satellites
- Amazon Leo gets approval for 4,504 extra satellites
- SpaceX gets a portion of India
- TerreStar wants to build LEO network
- Musk: “No Starlink phone”
- Russia accused of eavesdropping on satellites
